Environmental downtime is a significant cost to organisations and makes them unable to do business because what happens in the computer room effects everyone. Installation of physical IT & facilities environment monitors based on monitoring temperature, humidity, power, flood, smoke, air flow, room entry and other conditions is the most proactive way to reduce the unnecessary costs of expensive hardware replacement or unplanned downtime.
Environmental Monitoring Facts:
- Failure of a primary or backup air conditioner is a major threat in any data center. It is the number 1 cause of overheating and environment related downtime.
- The power consumption used by the typical data center rose 39% over the last 5 years.
- Given the average power consumption in a data center today, if cooling is lost, temperatures will rise 18° F in approximately 8.6 minutes.
- For every 18 degree rise in temperature above 68° F, servers lose approximately 50% of their performance and reliability.
- 61% of data centers say downtime was due to environmental issues 1X in the past 12 months and 23% say that it caused downtime 5X in the past 12 months, all downtime events lasting anywhere between 1/2 and 3 days.
Services in Environmental Monitoring